Public Health Interventions to Address Health Disparities Associated with Structural Racism
Policies, processes, and systems rooted in racist ideologies, such as redlining, school segregation, etc. have directly impacted the health and well-being of marginalized communities. Public health departments have an opportunity to target the health disparities caused by structural racism. Strategies that center on utilizing culturally relevant programmatic development and sustainable policy change, and that include all stakeholders have been shown to make significant positive impacts.
Alongside our January/February 2022 issue of the Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, we are publishing a supplemental issue focusing on Public Health Interventions to Address Health Disparities Associated with Structural Racism. This issue is sponsored by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Guest editor is Mary T. Bassett, MD, MPH, Director of the FXB Center for Health and Human Rights and the FXB Professor of the Practice of Health and Human Rights at the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Bassett was assisted by a special advisory panel that included the following members: Oxiris Barbot, MD; Peggy Honore, DHA; Philip Musa, PhD, MPH, MBA; LaQuandra Nesbitt, MD, MPH; Gulzar Shah, PhD, MStat; MS, Tricia Penniecook, MD, MPH; and Ben Truman, MD, MPH.
Go Behind the Supplement on JPHMP Direct:
- Podcast: Advancing Racial Equity in Buncombe County, North Carolina, a conversation with Dawn Hunter and Zo Mpofu
- When Communities Lead, Positive Health Outcomes Advance by Carla Thompson Payton
- Podcast: Making the “Invisible” Visible: Battling Structural Racism Against Asians in the US, a Conversation with Naoko Muramatsu
- Using Human-Centered Design for More Inclusive Maternal Health by Leigh Graham, Amanda DiMeo, and Rose Molina
- Perspective Transformation on Structural Racism: Learning to See Racism
- Infographic: Community Resilience: A Dynamic Model for Public Health 3.0 by Wendy Ellis, William Dietz, and Daniel Chen
- Data Moves at the Speed of Trust: Cross-sector Data Sharing to Support Community Violence Prevention by Carlene A. Mayfield
- Infographic: Conquering the Health Disparities of Structural Racism by Christen Johnson