Public Health Leadership 5: Advanced Concepts
In this section of our library, we build on other library sections in which foundational core concepts and best practices were covered. In this section, we address common challenges in organizational leadership including managing the boss and dealing with conflict. Further, we offer insights into the challenges associated with taking programs to scale and also in providing leadership which spans boundaries across organizations.
- Managing the Boss (2005)
- Taking Programs to Scale (2010)
- Building Conflict Competence (2011)
- Boundary Spanning Leadership (2019)
- Leading Organizational Change in the Post-COVID Pandemic Era (2023)
Interview: Dr. Jeff Koplan
It has been said that one of the central tasks for leaders is to “positively impact the way others feel.” No one exemplifies this maxim better than Dr. Jeffrey Koplan. In this 2008 interview, Dr. Koplan offers an extraordinary wealth of wit and wisdom that you will truly enjoy and learn from. The interview focuses on his days as CDC Director followed by his transition to the role of Vice President for Global Health at Emory University, where the interview was conducted.
Dr. Koplan’s characteristically engaging style speaks directly to emerging and established public health leaders for whom he has served as a role model for decades. In the interview, he discussed:
- His early influences that shaped his leadership journey
- Team building, including the difficult challenge of moving someone off of the team
- Setting priorities for accepting requests to speak or engage in an initiative
- Maintaining a daily discipline of work-life balance including his specific practices
I invite you to sit back and enjoy this delightful, candid, and truly inspirational conversation with one of our nation’s most distinguished public health leaders.