The Wide World of Public Health
I hope to engage with JPHMP Direct readers around some of the core questions of our field, and understand how systems research and data collected in other sectors for other reasons can bear on how we do the important current and “futuring” in work of our field. To me, that means that we need to continue to have debate and discussion with data, and also understand the lived experiences and sentiments of people in practice. I hope to feature voices of students in practice so that their voices help move forward the conversation about how our field proceeds, and where we might focus our efforts, in the coming years.
Jonathon P. (JP) Leider, PhD, is an independent consultant in the public health and health policy space, as well as a Senior Lecturer at the University of Minnesota and Associate Faculty at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He has active projects and collaborations with foundations, national public health organizations, public health researchers and academics, and public health practitioners. His current projects focus on public health systems, the public health workforce, and public health finance. He holds a PhD in Health Policy and Management from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Read all columns in this series:
- All Health Care Workers Are Critical Workers, But Not all Critical Workers Are Health Care Workers
- Partisan Divides on Importance of Public Health Narrowed from 2018 to 2020 in a National Poll
- On the Importance of Practitioners Publishing During and After COVID
- Following the Great Recession, Governments Spent More on Law and Order and Less on Health and Social Services
- Excess Mortality as a Canary in the Coal Mine for COVID Disparities
- Yet Another Post on Public Health Spending
- New Workforce Estimates Show Public Health Never Recovered from the Great Recession. Then Came COVID-19.
- Reflecting on the Past to Divine a Better Future for Public Health
- When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Must Be Ethical
- Getting Creative but Remaining Rigorous, and Scientific, in Responding to a Pandemic
- What’s the Deal with Public Health Funding?
- A Workforce in Transition
- Meditations on the MPH, Part 2
- Meditations on the MPH, Part 1
- The Wide World of Public Health: Spotlight on Dr. JP Leider