The Body: A Guide for Occupants
by Emily Yox, MPH
Each month, NACCHO brings you a new public health book, read and reviewed by NACCHO staff. Book reviews in this series originally appeared on NACCHO Voice: The Word on Local health Departments and are republished here with permission.
I am a big fan of Bill Bryson’s writing, so I was very excited and surprised when I saw that he recently published a book related to health and the human body. Being in the field of public health but having no medical background, this book provided a thorough and well-researched synopsis of all systems of the body. With a knack for compelling storytelling and fun and interesting facts, this is a great overview of all the body systems.
I am always looking for new books to read and recommend. If you have more free time than normal given social distancing, please feel free to send me recommendations at email@example.com.
Want to discuss this book and others? Head over to NACCHO’s Virtual Communities page and connect with peers.
You Might Also Enjoy These Book Reviews:
- Vaccinated: One Man’s Quest to Defeat the World’s Deadliest Diseases
- Pandora’s Lab: Seven Stories of Science Gone Wrong
- Lyme: The First Epidemic of Climate Change
- How to Survive a Plague: The Inside Story of How Citizens and Science Tamed AIDS
- Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City
- Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opioid Epidemic
Emily Yox is the Program Analyst for Global Health at the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO) in Washington, DC. In her role, she encourages US local health departments to understand the valuable perspective that global health programs can provide to domestic public health work. Emily completed her MPH in Global Health Epidemiology and Disease Control at the George Washington University Milken Institute of Public Health. She also holds a BA in International Studies from American University, School of International Service.
- From the Editor-in-Chief2021.04.14Infographic: Preventive Medicine Physician Workforce Supply & Distribution
- From the Editor-in-Chief2021.04.1310 Ways HRSA-Supported Preventive Medicine Residencies Responded to COVID-19
- Most Recent2021.04.13Podcast: Addressing Health Equity and SDOH Through Healthy People 2030
- JPHMP Direct Voices2021.04.07Investing in Evidence to Inform How to Rebuild the US Public Health System in the Wake of the COVID-19 Pandemic