Deaths of Despair: A Conversation with John Auerbach on Fatalities Resulting from Drugs, Alcohol, and Suicide
Welcome to JPHMP Direct TALK, a new podcast series that explores the many voices of public health. We bring you conversations that bridge the gap between research and practice. Today’s guests are John Auerbach and Elena Vidrascu.
This episode of JPHMP Direct TALK focuses on an editorial published in the July/August 2018 issue of the Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, titled “Deaths of Despair and Building a National Resilience Strategy” by John Auerbach and Benjamin Miller, written in response to the Pain in the Nation report released by Trust for America’s Health. The report elucidates the alarming statistics related to deaths caused by drug overdoses, alcohol, and suicide, and recommends actions our nation must implement in order to foster a resilience strategy and end these epidemics.
Guest John Auerbach, President and CEO of Trust for America’s Health and member of the editorial board for the Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, joins JPHMP Direct host Elena Vidrascu. Mr. Auerbach has over 35 years of experience in the public health field, and has served in prior positions as the Commissioner of the Massachusetts Department of Health, Executive Director of the Boston Public Health Commission, and Associate Director for Policy at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
You might also like these related articles in the July 2018 issue of the Journal of Public Health Management & Practice*:
- The North American Opioid Experience and the Role of Community Pharmacy
- Promoting Health Department Opioid-Prescribing Guidelines for New York City Emergency Departments: A Qualitative Evaluation
- A Survey of Prescribers’ Attitudes, Knowledge, Comfort, and Fear of Consequences Related to an Opioid Overdose Education and Naloxone Distribution Program
*Articles may require a subscription to JPHMP or purchase.
- Big Cities Health Coalition2021.06.30How Health Departments Are Addressing Substance Use Disorder and Overdose During a Pandemic
- Announcements2021.06.21AcademyHealth Call for Nominations
- Healthy People 20302021.06.16Podcast: Law and Policy as Tools in Healthy People 2030
- HRSA's Investment in Public Health2021.05.18Video Q&A — Preventive Medicine for Rural America: Why More Training Programs Must Be Here